August 17, 2008

Ice Bath Anyone?

liquor not included...


First off- running gives new meaning to 'salt scrub'... (ewww)

Let's get something totally straight. Anyone who says training for a marathon is pie, unless they're a prof runner- is lying. Besides the actual running, stretching, hydrating and eating bit- 630AM on a SATURDAY is PAINful. Ha!

Yes, I understand that there are people that get up that early on a regular, and folk that are up at 7 on wkdays (I don't understand them unless they have kids) but I am not one of them. I am the out til all hours and sleep til at least 10 when I haven't spent all night out and up to 2pm when I have. So yes, its quite a task. I fought myself to get out of bed and dressed to walk the 20 min + to the park to meet.

But it was worth it.... 15 miles!!!

So... We started at prospect park (9th st) and ran all the way down to flatbush to tillary for the manhattan bridge.


From there - canal st to lafayette- chinatown in the morning gives a distinct hankering for dim sum-
mmmm.... but no stopping!! from lafayette straight up to 4th ave and thru to park ave...

Sidebar: 101 reasons to love ur city: when they shut down certain whole blocks for bikers/runners/walkers/families w strollers... It was quite a scene but really awesome.

So up park to grand central's drive (park ave continuation)-

I've never been thru there not driving- and then over to the queensboro/59th st bridge.



We were to go over the bridge and back to make 11.5 miles. *note: the gwb is 1 mile. The brooklyn/manh are around half a mile. Queensboro? 2.something miles* I was going to stop there. I was. But I figured I needed to find a fruit stand... And I was running w my new friend jessica, who was going to aim for further. It was beautiful out and I figured from the bridge to 40th I could go back thru grand central... And then I needed to find food. Coaches expect us to be eating on long runs- we need carbs and energy and salt- and I am a "rebel" so I'm told...
From 40th, it seemed like a straight shot to union sq. Not that far and I could hit the farmers market. Yay!

Grabbed some fruit and felt human again, and then we headed down to broadway lafayette and jumped the train back to bk.

One thing about new yorkers- we walk. Yes, there are subways, but 40th down to 16th st isn't a bad walk. And neither was union to broadway laff..

So, I made it. It was awesome. The coaches say a leap in milage is not good, that its easy to get caught up in environment and feeling good- but I should be careful to avoid injury, so I'm planning on stopping by the bodega for a couple packs of ice ;)



Til next training!
;)

1 comment:

Mruvula said...

Isis ices to satisfy her knees' needs.

I just suffered my first (slight) knee pain the other day and it incapacitated me for a few days. Yeah, I'm a big baby.