So today was my last nyc saturday training run before san fran next weekend (wooo hoo!)
I ran with the winter team- folk training for phoenix and orlando marathons in the upcoming months). We went from prospect park to the manhattan bridge (you remember:)
Up bowery and up to 63rd-
We were supposed to go bowery-4th ave- broadway, but I hate the idea of having to run thru herald and times squares so we definitely detoured and did 4th-park ave- madison ave and up to 59th. Jumped to Central Park West and then over to 63rd.
I ran back down to 57 to catch the train but ran into a street fair! Worked out well bc I was looking for something and found it for 5 bucks :)
Trains are a lil funny heading back home, but what's new... Its new york city.
So I missed last Tues (the sf send off!) And updating u all on the sports doc and the 18 miler.
Well, tuesday was cool- its totally official now. We picked up the travel pack that has all of our information and tickets/wristbands as needed. We got our singlets and a cute purple tote for it all. I wanted a visor, but may have to get one later on (probably in sf).
Sports doc was cool - he says my shoes are crap - lol - there's no support. i have to wear better shoes, so its been sneakers since then til the race... and that if my foot doesnt feel any better, i may have to get an MRI. ew. sounds expensive...
The 18 miler... Was rough.
But I did it! And survived :) it ws amazing to watch people fly past u when ur jus truckin along. But there's loads of interesting people to watch. I can almost imagine the ones that are running the ny full.
A few faves - the guy running w the radio. We definitely were singing along for a portion of it ('if u could only see the way she loves me, maybe u could understand...')
The two elderly gentlemen- one saying "...I remember doing this one with u in 3:20 back in '72..." Or something along those lines lol -
The course was 3 whole loops of central park.
The first one was our fastest, but it wasn't the easiest. It takes me a while for my muscles to warm up, so I didn't get to 'auto-pilot' til 2nd lap. By the third lap, we were both starting to feel it- jess was having IT band issues and my chest pains had started by the end of 2nd. We ran into one of our coaches (lisa- she's awesome) who ran/walked along w us for most of the final lap- stopped to stretch n hydrate, made sure we ate more gel thingys (we've been eating accel gels which taste like yogurt- and I'd tried a powerbar gel thing which wasn't so bad after 2-3 yogurt like ones. I had sports beans too- but maaaajor sugar rush there!!)We ended up walking mile 16 but by the time we hit 17, it was time to get trucking! Made the finish in under 4 hours n my mom was there to take the pic!!

I'd called her way early to jus tell her I was running in case she got up later n wanted to come out. It was also partially a 'hey, ur my emergency contact, make sure u pick up just in case!' She can't make it to sf so it was nice to see her at the finish for this one.
We got to go to popover cafe for brunch mmmmmmmm afterwards- which I loooove :)
And that's been all. My foots been ok... I'm hoping no issues for race day, and I'm glad that its here otherwise. I'm excited but still nervous, so hopefully all goes well!
Wish me luck!! Ill be blogging from sf in exactly a wk!
Xooxox
Is

No comments:
Post a Comment